Platts is looking for a coal reporter in its Houston office. The person will be an essential part of Platts’ global coal team, producing daily and weekly benchmark price assessments that are used around the world. The person will also be responsible for producing market-leading commentaries, breaking news coverage and in-depth analysis. The person will play a role in our market engagement efforts and methodology development work.
• 50% – Gathers commodity price information, produce price assessments/indexes and writes commentary
• 35% – Reports & writes daily news, analysis/features stories
• 15% – Develops, expands and maintains sources and contacts relevant to the market area of coverage
• Journalism or business degrees preferred with more than 5 years of reporting/writing/analytical experience; or a graduate degree in journalism, business, economics or finance with five years with 5 years of reporting/writing/analytical experience.
• Strong communication skills that implement good listening, clear writing style; and strong verbal skills. The ability to communication across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally.
• Candidate should possess energy, tenacity and ambition to excel in a fast-paced news room. Work well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team.
• Displays good numeracy including ability to conceptualize proportional relationships; understand the basic principles of algebra and statistics; as well as a basic understanding of how to apply basic math functions in Excel. A basic understanding of economics principles is also required.
• Adept at managing multiple editorial tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to prioritize quickly and to readjust priorities throughout the day.
• Displays good problem-solving and critical thinking capabilities.
• Technical competency and computer skills coupled with a good knowledge and utilization of Microsoft Excel; Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook…); and good keyboarding skills (both speed and accuracy), and is able to adopt new technologies.
Platts is a leading global provider of energy, petrochemicals, metals and agriculture information, and a premier source of benchmark price assessments for those commodity markets. Since 1909, Platts has provided information and insights that help customers make sound trading and business decisions and enable the markets to perform with greater transparency and efficiency.