SPJ Houston Pro Chapter
Jan. 24, 2012
The meeting came to order at 6:36 p.m. All officers and board members were present.
1) Financial report
• The three officers approved to sign off on checks will to go the bank to get listed on the bank’s roll.
• Treasurer Susanne Pagano will give a financial report each month.
2) Review of tax-exempt status
• On the advice of SPJ national legal, the chapter will need to refile with the IRS, since the IRS has no record of the chapter’s original filing.
• Treasurer Susanne Pagano was approved to stop her check that was sent with the original filing and the chapter will reimburse her the fee.
3) Law and the Media event status
• The chapter will have SPJ pamphlets and membership forms available at the event.
• The board agreed to pay $100 to HBA to go toward the victim speaker’s stipend.
4) Media guide status
• Susanne Pagano will get estimates on printing costs for the chapter to produce the guide itself after receiving no response from the Greater Houston Partnership for several months.
• The chapter is looking to charge $40 per guide due to increase in printing costs and postage.
5) Committee reports
• Discussion on contacting members whose memberships are about to expire, and contacting journalism students, national members and local media organizations regarding Houston chapter membership.
• The chapter will host a community newspaper panel March 20 featuring a panel comprised of local editors discussing the future of their products and job opportunities.
• The Wayne Dolcefino program was rescheduled to Feb. 27.
• Discussion regarding a Happy Hour in April.
6) Open business
• The chapter agreed to judge the “small dailies” category in the Golden Quill awards
Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.
* These minutes are unofficial until approved by the board at the next board meeting.