SPJ Houston Pro Chapter
Oct. 29, 2012
The meeting came to order at 6:15 p.m. All officers and board members were present.
1) Review of tax-exempt status including required next steps
• Treasurer Susanne Pagano has filed paperwork with the IRS, waiting to hear back.
• Susanne Pagano to look into state sales tax exemption via the state comptroller’s office
2) Review of officer roles
• Agenda to be posted online before each meeting
• Minutes to be posted online following officer approval
• Eileen O’Grady (board member) to regularly check PO Box
3) Review of financial policies and procedures
• New treasurer to work with former treasurer to transfer account information over
• Three signatories (president, vice president and treasurer) to be named to the account with two required per check
• Treasurer to give monthly financial report
• Board set a regular meeting time of 6 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month at the central library in downtown. The monthly scheduled meetings will start Dec. 5.
• Media Guide
•Discussion on working with Greater Houston Partnership on printing or printing ourselves. Susanne Pagano to get an estimate for printing costs.
• Would like to get the guide in time for Law and the Media event in early February
• Possibly sell ads inside the guide to help cover printing costs
General Membership Business:
1) Upcoming programs: Law and the Media
• Terry Williams (board member) attended planning session and gave a report
• Topics will be in the criminal area: human trafficking and DNA forensic science
• Organizers want input on possible speakers. Members asked to contribute possibilities to submit to organizers before the next (and final) planning meeting.
• Next planning meeting is scheduled for Nov. 29
• Law and the Media event is scheduled for 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 2
2) Proposal to establish committee chairs
• To avoid “burn out” President Ruth Nasrullah proposed setting up committees to delegate responsibilities with committee chairs overseeing/appointing volunteers for individual events
• Membership Committee: Terry Williams volunteered to chair
• Programming: Jim Magill (vice president) volunteered to chair
• Discussion of “Best of” contest for area journalists or high school students
• Jim Magill proposed blogger “Texas Sharron,” as a speaker for an upcoming event.
• Fundraising: Could fall under programming.
• Communications: Kassia Micek (secretary) volunteered to chair
• Discussion on possibility of online sales for Media Guide
Meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m.