The Society of Professional Journalists is dedicated to the perpetuation of a free press as the cornerstone of our nation and our liberty.
To ensure that the concept of self-government outlined by the U.S. Constitution remains a reality into future centuries, the American people must be well informed in order to make decisions regarding their lives, and their local and national communities.
It is the role of journalists to provide this information in an accurate, comprehensive, timely and understandable manner.
It is the mission of the Society of Professional Journalists:
- To promote this flow of information.
- To maintain constant vigilance in protection of the First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and of the press.
- To stimulate high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism.
- To foster excellence among journalists.
- To inspire successive generations of talented individuals to become dedicated journalists.
- To encourage diversity in journalism.
- To be the pre-eminent, broad-based membership organization for journalists.
- To encourage a climate in which journalism can be practiced freely.
The Houston Pro chapter hosts regular programs on topics relevant to all media formats: print, online, radio, television, and more. Our programs are both educational and opportunities for networking. We strive to focus on newsroom diversity, ethics, freedom of information and community service. Our members are from all backgrounds, ages and fields of expertise throughout the greater Houston area.